Home > Business & Finance > Renting & Real Estate > How do I Get my adult stepson to move out?

How do I Get my adult stepson to move out?

How do I get my adult stepson by to move out?

  • Best Answer

    You give him a timespan to get out and enforce it. 2 to 4 months is the norm.

    Elaine M
    Lv 7 1 month ago 1 0
  • Other Answer
  • You give him a timespan to get out and enforce it. 2 to 4 months is the norm.

    Elaine M 1 month ago 1 0
  • Cut off his access to anime and World of Warcraft.

    Anonymous 1 month ago 0 0
  • stop feeding him, maybe he will go away

    Richard 1 month ago 2 0
  • You tell his father to handle it.

    Anonymous 1 month ago 2 0
  • Give him 30 days' notice.  Verbal is fine, since he is not a tenant.  If he has been one H*ll on earth for one H*ll of a very long time, give him two weeks.  Then, later, if you have to change the locks, do it.

    babyboomer1001 1 month ago 3 2
  • What does your spouse have to say about kicking out their kid?  Get over that conversation and we can talk...

    I like crazy rules to make life tough...

    Casey Y 1 month ago 3 0
  • Start charging him rent

    sunshine_mel 1 month ago 0 2
  • You're an adult.

    He's an adult who you believe is old enough to live on his own.

    Have you tried sitting down with him, speaking to him in a respectful way, and having an adult conversation in which both of you discuss your thoughts on the subject of him moving out, and compromise on an agreeable plan that both of you are satisfied with?

    That's how I'd treat an adult who I love and care for.

    You have every right to ask him to leave the home if your the owner and he's old enough to spread his wings and move out. But you don't have to put down some authoritative mandate, you can still show respect and dignity.

    If you cannot come to an agreement that both of you are happy with, then you can exercise your authority as the homeowner and mandate that he pay rent - perhaps at increasing amounts - and make plans for moving out.

    If he still won't budge there have been cases where parents evicted their own children through the courts - but I wouldn't wish that division on any family.

    Coffee Drinker 1 month ago 2 0
  • You tell him to move out by xxx day.  Try and give him a reasonable amount of time to move - a week or two. If he can't make it happen in a week or two then you could give him more time if he is really making an effort to move. If he makes no effort to move then simply kick him out or evict him - depending on the specifics of this case and the law where you are.

    Slumlord 1 month ago 0 0
  • Easy.  Make life for him at home less comfortable.  If he has his own room, take it away and let him sleep on the couch in the living room eliminating his privacy.  Set all kinds of unreasonable rules for him as an adult, and impose punishments he would get as a child, charge a higher rent, more commensurate with what he would have to pay to rent a furnished apartment with utilities in your neighborhood.  And if this doesn't work, follow the process of eviction, i.e. giving him a written  day notice, followed by a written notice to quit per your state laws (with the full explanation of how an eviction would destroy his credit and make it very difficult to find a landlord willing to rent to him) and if they still won't leave … formal eviction (only meant for the ultimate stubborn child).

    Or, just ask them.  And maybe enable them by being willing to co-sign their first lease.

    linkus86 1 month ago 0 0